Thursday, May 6, 2010

Sweet Attempts





I have been in the mood for sweets for DAYS, and decided that yesterday was as good of a time as any to satisfy my craving. I enjoy cooking- the smell of garlic and rosemary sizzling in a pan, a bubbling pot of pasta, and of course, the finished delectable meal- but I truly adore baking. Flour, sugar, butter eggs, and a generous splash of vanilla; its amazing how just those few ingredients can create such a diverse array of luscious desserts. Few things are as delicious as cookie dough, or better yet, brownie batter. Yes, I know all about the dangers of Salmonella, but I cannot be stopped. Raw dough and batter must be tested- for quality assurance only, of course.
I found this recipe on one of the most beautiful blogs I have come across, CakeSpy. Based in Seattle, this blog finds everything that is sweet; from bakeries to recipes. Luckily for me, she found these Bonbon cookies.


I was pumped to start these cookies. The original recipe showed these cute little pillows of blue, topped with a thin cap of smooth icing and a few sprinkles of white sugar crystals. From a picture like that, who could resist?? Mine, however, fell short of perfection. The cookies were not light enough, the edges not clean enough, the frosting more a heavy blanket than a light cap. It could have been the accidental addition of 1/4 cup of powdered sugar (it called for 3/4 cup, I used the 1/3 measuring cup and dumped 3 cupfuls in…oops). Or it could have been when I decided the cookies were just not quite yellow enough and threw a few more drops of food coloring in when it was well past the food-coloring-adding stage (thus the orange flecks of color in the dough). I am not 100% happy with this batch, but I’m told the cookies I sent to the hungry consultant’s office disappeared in a matter of seconds. Although I am half convinced I could throw a loaf of stale bread into that office and have the same effect. These cookies will be tried and tested again; I will not stop with them until they are the adorable airy bites that I first saw. At least the cookie dough is delicious!

BonBons
Makes 20-25 cookies.

1/2 cup soft butter 
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup sifted powdered sugar 
1 Tbsp Vanilla
Food Coloring
 1/8 tsp. salt

Icing
1 cup powdered sugar
2 Tbsp cream
Food coloring of your choice
1 tsp vanilla

-Heat oven to 350.
-Mix butter, sugar, vanilla and food coloring, until creamy.
-Blend in flour and salt by sifting mixture into dough.  Add 1 to 2 Tbsp. cream if dough is dry.
-Use tablespoon to shape dough into a half dome.  
-Place 1 inch apart on un-greased cookie sheet and bake 12 to 15 min.
-Mix icing ingredients until creamy.
-When cool, dip tops of cookies in icing and sprinkle with sugar crystals.
These are delicious as is, but to add a little extra punch of flavor, fill with chocolate chips, nuts, fruit, etc before baking.


Source: Adapted from CakeSpy, who adapted it from Mrs. Joseph J. Wallace, Whitehall, Montana

1 comment:

  1. I can absolutely vouch for the statement that they disappeared out here in a matter of seconds. I had planned on treating myself to a bon bon for dessert with lunch today, but had to settle for a bag of Cheez-Its after my colleagues decided to eat them all. Though it is true that a half stale loaf of bread would probably go just as quickly (though apparently not fruit and vegetables since I brought in the leftover platters from Monday's BBQ and those are still here.....) it would certainly not get as many compliments as these bon bon's did. So don't always buy into Emi's modesty...according to my coworkers they were soft and tasty treats!

    ReplyDelete