Friday, May 21, 2010

Roll-ups




I am not a big breakfast person, never have been. Aside from an occasional big special breakfast, I would really rather just move right on to lunch, on to the good stuff. Don’t get me wrong, I’ll eat it- cereal, oatmeal, a piece of bacon here or there, but it’s just not my favorite meal of the day (hello dessert).

Roll-ups, however, are different. Roll-ups are the best a morning meal can get for me. Like pancakes, but lighter and sweeter. Like a crepe but with more substance. Roll-ups were my mom’s specialty growing up. I think at one point she had wanted to make Swedish pancakes from scratch, and somehow ended up with this delicious concoction instead.

The important trick to remember with Roll-ups is to butter the pan before every batch. This makes a crispy ring around the edge, adding the perfect salty, buttery flavor. They cook a lot quicker than regular pancakes, so you have to keep a watchful eye to make sure these babies don’t burn. They are yummy with any nearly any filling- fruity jam, cinnamon and sugar, lemon juice and powdered sugar, or my favorite- no topping at all, just the warm buttery Roll-ups. Best eaten hot, standing next to the stove while making another batch to gobble up!

Roll-ups
2 cups flour
3/4 cups sugar
1 tsp salt
1 1/3 cup milk
2 eggs

Combine all dry ingredients together. Add eggs and milk and mix thoroughly. Batter should be very thin, dripping off the fork after stirring. Heat pan to medium, spread with butter. Pour 1/4 cup of batter per Roll-up. When the edges of the Roll-up are solidified, flip it. Cook for another minute or two and remove from pan. Top with your favorite filling and enjoy.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment